What’s the most important thing you do before starting your workout? Wearing shoes? Well yes that’s important too, but today I’m talking about another important thing people often forget and that is Warm-up. Warm-up is something people generally avoid(maybe its not as fancy as workout) but it should be your the most important pre-workout routine as it helps you a lot.
Our main intention of doing warm-up is to make our body(or rather say muscles) prepare for the workout. Now you may wonder how it prepares your muscles? Well, it is like a wake up call for our muscle to get ready. Warm-up loosen up our muscles and make it soft, also it helps us to take our heart rate up(to a certain level) so that we can avoid injuries due to sudden movements. So without any delay let’s start with warm-up. Shall we?
Shoulder socket rotation
Lets start with shoulder first. To do this:
- Stand straight, bend your hands from elbow and place your fingers on the shoulders
- Rotate hands in clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.
- Do it for 10 secs for both the directions.
- You can also do it while sitting.
Hands ups and downs
Another easy movement for shoulders. To do this:
- Stand straight (lots of our exercise today will involve standing in straight position).
- Raise your hand above your head, imagine as if you are trying to touch something high.
- Bring back your hand to initial position and repeat it with another hand.
- You can also stand on your toes while your hand is raised.
- Do this 5 times for each hand.
Now, lets do something for the arms. To do this:
- Stand straight and spread your arms like in a T position.
- Now move your arms in clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.
- Imagine you are standing in middle of two walls and you have to clean it with your both hands at the same time, you will make circles to clean it right? That’s what we are doing here.
- Do it for 10 secs each for both the direction.
Our wrists are something that are involved in lots of movements, so taking its care is important. To do wrist rotation:
- You can either stand straight or sit straight(whichever way you are comfortable in).
- Make fists(not for punching though).
- Now start rotating it in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.
- Remember you just need to rotate your fists and not whole arm
- You can also join your palms(in player position) and rotate in both direction.
- Doing it gently is the key, do it for 10 secs.
Neck is the most important part as we move it a lot during whole day and we can get sprain anytime if we move it vigorously. To do neck rotation:
- Stand straight or sit straight(as you wish).
- Rotate your head in clockwise direction and anti-clockwise direction.
- You need to do this very calmly as sudden movement may give you excruciating ache.
- You can also tilt your head in left-right direction or upward-downward direction.
- Go slow and do it for 5 secs for each movement.
Time to shake some kamariya( waist in english, sorry I cant stop myself). To execute this:
- Stand straight with arms on your sides(love handles).
- Slowly and gently move your waist and try to make an imaginary circle with it.
- You can also imagine as if you are moving your hips in circular direction.
- Do it 10 times and repeat it for another direction.
- Do not bend your knees but keep it loose.
This is also an good exercise for sides and abs, but we are doing it now just to warm-up. To do this:
- Stand in T position(again)
- Now, without moving your lower body turn to your left(as if you are trying to see something on your back)
- Return to original position and this time go for right side.
- Your torso will move in this movement.
- Do it gently to avoid back ache, go for 5 times for each side.
Forward leg swings
Also known as pendulums, are the movement for legs. To perform this:
- You need to stand straight.
- Just like a pendulum move your left forward and backward.
- Switch leg and repeat the same.
- You can also hold something for balance, and can go left-right as well.
- Remember, you need not to haste and do it 10 times for both legs.
Just like wrist rotation, ankle circles are for ankle movement. To do this:
- Stand or sit straight
- Now raise your leg and rotate your ankle in clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.
- Repeat the same for another ankle. Do it for 10 secs.
- Remember, gentle is the key, if you do it without caution if may cause you painful sprain.
Moving on the backs, toe touches is the most common exercise/stretching you might have seen. It can be done by:
- Standing straight in relax position.
- Now try to touch your toes without bending your knees.
- If you cant touch toes, try to go as far as you can while keeping your back straight(without curving it).
- One way you can keep your back straight is puffing your chest out as if you are proud of something(you should be proud of yourself anyway).
- Toe touches can also be done alternatively with touching one toe at a time and returning to original position and then repeating for another side.
- Do it 10 times but remain calm and soft.
In the end
After this routine you are all set for your workout. It can be anything, let it be HIIT, Yoga, or regular training session. Warm-up is something which you should make a habit, and try to find time for it before your training session. You can also add some exercises like jumping jacks, push-ups, squats with above mentioned dynamic stretching to take your heart rate.
If you are already been doing warm-up and found something new today, then let me know in the comments. If you were not doing warm-up previously, remember to do it next time before your workout session. And while you do that, hit the like button and subscribe to the weekly content delivered straight to your mailbox.
Until then, keep moving and remember to smile.